Tuesday 18 October 2011

Writing my Tuesday blog at 1am Wednesday morning.... rebel ;)

So I've made a decision that Tuesdays are going to be weigh-in and tips days, and Fridays are going to be recipes. So you'll know when to check back, if you're reading regularly :)

So last night at Slimming World I got weighed and turns out I gained half a pound. Half a pound isn't too bad, but I was really hoping to lose y'know.
The girls said it was probably my birthday week catching up on me but I know myself that I wasn't particularly good this week so if anything it's just boosted me to try harder this week.

SO that means that I have lost 6lbs over 3 weeks, which is obviously an average of 2lbs a week, which is still more than I had hoped for. If I lose 1lb this week, I will get my half stone award :) Yay for me.


So... tips for the week. Here's a reminder of last week's:

  • Fill up on rice, pasta and noodles (dried varieties) to your hearts content. Don't measure them at all.

  • Try making your own pasta sauces instead of buying jarred varieties. It's cheaper and healthier, since most jars contain lots of salt :, sugar and oil. It's so easy to make your own, just by using ingredients such as passatta, tins of chopped tomatoes, various veggies, garlic, chillies... that's basically all jars of sauces are, without all the unneeded unhealthy extras!

  • Fill a third of your plate with fruit or veggies. You won't believe how full they make you, and you'll get all the health benefits.

  • Cut out as much rubbish as you can, but dont forget to give yourself a little treat every couple of days - this will stop you craving, and you won't feel like you're on a diet.

  • Switch to diet drinks - you won't notice the difference, but your scales will!


    And here are this week's:

  • Try and stick to a small amount of wheat-based product (e.g. 2 slices of bread OR cereal OR ryvita etc) and dairy (milk OR cheese) if you can. I have to be strict with how much of this I eat, and if you want to see effects try and eat a little amount of each each day, and not half a loaf of bread for lunch or half a block of cheese in your pasta. Try and make your bread wholemeal. Not white, not granary, not brown. As for dairy, if it's VERY low fat or fat-free, go for it. Tesco do a nice very low fat fromage frais, and fat free yoghurt is a great snack if you're feeling peckish. As for cheese, there are some nice reduced-fat cheddars out there that mean you can have slightly more per day, and the taste isn't all that different. Again, it depends how strict you want to be. I have to measure my milk/ cheese out to the ml/g but as long as you're not having too much you'll be fine.

  • Switch sugar for sweetner. There's only 10% of the calories in sweetner compared to sugar - so for every teaspoon of sugar you use (20calories) you can have a teaspoon of sweetner for only 2calories. Have sweetners in tablet form to add to your tea/ cofee, and granulated form to add to your food.

  • Have as much lean meat as you want. Have chicken without the skin, and trim any visible fat off any meat. In some supermarkets you will be able to get lean bacon which is a godsend because it is purely the meat and saves the bother of fiddling about trimming the fat off. If you're using mince, try your best to get extra-lean. I use lean because it's a bit cheaper, but there is still around a 12% fat content which is quite high if you're trying to keep to a low-fat diet like myself.

  • If you're feeling hungry, try having a glass of water or two. Or a low-calorie squash. A lot of the time we eat because of boredom, not because of hunger. And if we start getting pangs for food, it's amazing how filled-up you can feel after drinking a couple of pints of juice.

  • Switch oils for FryLight (I should definitely get paid for all this advertising I'm doing! :P). Each spray replaces 30 calories from oil - if you use the recommended 4 sprays (although i tend to use a couple more than that, maybe 6 or 7) then you are cutting out around 120 calories from your meal - that's around 40-odd minutes exercising on an exercise bike. I know what I'd rather do..




  • Aye, so, easy right?
    On Friday I'll have recipes for a fat-free cooked breakfast, meatballs with pasta and tomato sauce, an awesome roast chicken dinner and pork chops with homemade apple sauce.

    See ye then. :)
    Ciao x

    No comments:

    Post a Comment